Friday, July 22, 2011

Fire Starters!

Planning a camping trip, so I decided to make some simple fire-starters to help us with our campfires. My mom made these when I was a kid, but this was my first time. What you need:
  • Dryer lint (a lot of it)
  • Cardboard egg carton
  • Wax
I started saving dryer lint a while ago. I kept the egg carton in the laundry area and each dryer filter lint load got it's own little cup. (You can tell which loads were darks and which were lights.)

Making Fire Starters

For the wax, I used a couple of candles that I wasn't too fond of. I melted them on a candle warmer ($1.99 at the goodwill).

Making Fire Starters

Pour a little wax into each egg cup. It'll sort of absorb a bit into the lint.

Making Fire Starters

Voila! When it comes time to light your fire, you just tear/cut off one cup from the egg carton and light one of the cardboard bits that extends up. You may need to use more than one fire-starter for your campfire.

(ETA: I just saw that Northern Cheapskate has a post just like this from yesterday! Great minds??)

No comments: