Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Silly sewing


First, the sun hat. I had medium high hopes, and did extra work getting the pattern to work (basically sewed the whole thing twice). And the fit is horrible! We're taking ridiculous. :( The pattern was free, so I guess you get what you pay for.


The pants, on the other hand, look so silly but turned out great! I used an old shirt of mine for a bloomer pattern that called for using a woven, and I love the way they look with the knit. So comfy. And silly looking. But great play clothes :) Pattern from See Kate Sew, scaled up a bit (her biggest size is 18mo)

Two more for #15in15

Saturday, May 23, 2015

FO: Rope basket


Can of my fave La Croix for scale, and also because it matches

It's a bit ridiculous how much I love this basket. Just looking at it fills be with joy. Partly because of the colors used (from bottom to top: pink, lavender, royal blue, pale green, forest green, royal blue); partly because I made it; partly because it's an actually useful object. I know much of what I make is useful, particularly the socks, but this feels useful in a different way. I think I also love it so much because it's useful regardless of the numerous flaws. Nice to have a project that is so forgiving!


I could go into detail about the flaws, but what a waste of time that would be! There are tutorials online for rope baskets sub as this. I winged it. Used 100% cotton clothesline. Set my stitch length to 2, used my widest zig zag. To get the shape I wanted,  I started with an oval for the base. I wish the handles were a tad longer--maybe 1/2" more. They're functional as is, though. 

This basket would work great for storing toys, knitting projects, magazines, whatever!

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A trio of knitted socks

Making some progress toward my goal of 15 pairs of socks (though still more likely it'll need to be 15 individual socks). I've got 3 recently finished pairs to share today. 


First, this pair of navy stripe socks. I used remnants from other projects. Worked the socks toe-up with short row toe and heel, and used continuous helix-style 1-row stripes. I'm keeping these socks for myself. Neither of the yarns used contain nylon, so I'm curious to see how they'll wear. 


Next up, these lovelies, the Columbine Peeks pattern by Cat Bourdhi, knit from KnitPicks Felici self-striping yarn. Simple pattern, plus fun yarn--these were a joy to knit and worked on these primarily while in Europe. These are heading for the gift pile. 


Finally, these which I've dubbed Jade Leaves (Falling leaves pattern plus jade colorway yarn). Followed pattern but used a short row heel. Planned to keep these but they turned out just a smidgen too tight, so into the gift pile they go!

These are pairs number 2, 3 and 4--only 11 more to go ��

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Sunday night sewing: baby carrier stuff sack


In preparation for our upcoming trip to Europe, I decided the baby carrier *needed* a stuff sack...ha! Pulled out some old home decor weight ikea fabric, and a bit of complementary orange, did some measuring and sketching, and made this little bag. 


Overall, I'm very pleased with the result. I used my serger to finish all the raw edges inside, which makes me feel good, funnily enough. I wish the handle wasn't as long, but otherwise it's just how I envisioned. And now the Tula can be safely ensconced when not in use. :)

Friday, April 3, 2015

Nap time sewing: toddler sunglasses case


Erin loves sunglasses. And putting things into/out of other things. So I'm counting on this little sunglasses case with dollar store sunglasses to provide some entertainment on our upcoming trip. 


Used flannel scraps from some receiving blankets I made way back when. And I love any excuse to use my Kam snaps!!

Friday, March 27, 2015

Another pouch!


Just made another little zipper pouch, using the Open Wide tutorial from Noodle Head (http://www.noodle-head.com/2012/06/open-wide-zippered-pouch-diy-tutorial.html) but using different dimensions to suit my materials. Used reproduction prints pulled from the stack my aunt sent me for my birthday a bazillion years ago, pulled 4 prints that coordinated with the purple zipper.


This pouch could easily accommodate a small knitting project. I used a 9" zipper, cut my rectangles to 9"x10.5", with a 3.5" boxed bottom depth. I have two more sets of fabrics picked out to make more of these. :)

It feels a bit silly to get so much satisfaction from this project, but alas, I love it!

Monday, March 23, 2015

A wee zippered pouch!


Used some scraps and a fun bright pink zipper to see up this little zippered pouch. Not sure why, but I'd been feeling intimidated by zippers! This was the perfect little project to wipe away those nerves. 


I referenced this tutorial on the Purl Bee (http://www.purlbee.com/2014/04/18/mollys-sketchbook-simple-lined-zipper-pouches/). My pouch measures about 6.5"x6.5". It's now a home for Erin's finger puppets. :)