Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Socks, and other knitting

Sittin' Knittin': I finished those Traveler's Stockings from Knitting on the Road. I think they turned out just lovely.

Traveler's Stockings

When I finished the second sock, I did a regular toe, liked it this way better, and went back and changed sock #1.

Traveler's Stockings

Still plugging away at those brown socks I showed you last time. #2 is almost half way done. I started a new pair of socks out of some Noro Kureyon sock yarn I purchased a couple weeks ago up at Hilltop Yarn. I just love Noro Kureyon sock yarn. People complain about it. But I would happily knit with it every day for the rest of my life. The first pair of socks I made out of this stuff, I used 2.5mm needles. But I'm using 3.0mm needles for this pair. And I think it's working out just fine. I'm about a 1/4 of the way through sock #2. No pics of these, sorry.

As I mentioned, I'd been seriously missing my stash the past couple of weeks. So this past weekend I went to my mom's office, where all the boxes of my stuff are being held until I get to move into my apartment (everyone cross your fingers for this weekend!), and went rummaging for yarn. It was like shopping! I pulled out enough yarn to keep me set for at least a month, plus my trusty ball winder and swift. I pulled out mostly sock yarn, but I also pulled out a few skeins of laceweight. After some browsing through ravelry, I found a beautiful lace shawl pattern and went to it. I'm using some pale blue merino wool I found on etsy. And let me just be honest: I'm in love.

Bee Fields Shawl beginning

I did cheat on the lace for a one night stand with some kitchen cotton to make this bag:

Hoppin' shoppin' bag

The pattern is availabe in the second Mason-Dixon book, or free online. While going through my mounds of junk in mom and dad's attic, I found a couple of bags I'd crocheted many years ago (back before I was a knitter), and decided to repurpose them into some awesome shopping bags. There are a few nifty stitches in the pattern for this bag that give it a take-any-shape expandable mesh.

Hoppin' shoppin' bag

I'm gonna take a quick sec and talk about books. I've been reading David Sedaris's newest book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames. I hate to say this, but I've been underwhelmed by the whole thing. For probably 90% of the stuff in this book, I feel like I've read some version of it before. Probably in the New Yorker, possibly he's had some of them on This American Life. And the stuff just isn't as funny the second time around. If you don't read the New Yorker of listen to TAL, you might like this book better than I do. I'm glad that it's a library book and not a purchase.

No comments: