Friday, December 6, 2013

FO: bonnet and booties


IMG_0501

Pattern: Bonnet by Elizabeth Zimmerman (ravelry project page)
Yarn: Spincycle Yarns Dyed in the Wool in "tangled up in blue"


A few weeks ago, I picked up a skein of Spincycle Yarn. I love their gradual color shifts. The label said sport/heavy fingering, and after a little search on ravelry I settled on this bonnet by Elizabeth Zimmerman. A clever pattern as usual from her. 

A couple of notes: I worked the back of the bonnet in the round, alternating knit and purl rounds. For the ties, I crocheted a chain the appropriate length then worked one row of slip stitches and used the starting and ending yarn tails to secure the tie to the bonnet. I'm really pleased with this method of doing the ties; it was much faster than working i-cord (for me) and the resulting ties seem seem perfect for tying under a wee chin--not too bulky. 

This bonnet is just a tad big for Baby E, and she has a big head. I think it'll last us through the season just fine. Maybe I'll make her one with heavier yarn next year. 


Pattern: Bootees by Elizabeth Zimmerman (ravelry project page)
Yarn: Spincycle Yarn Dyed in the Wool in "tangled up in blue"

Decided to make these booties which were on the same page as the bonnet pattern. They were quick and easy, though beginner knitters may have trouble with the pattern as it seems targeted at more experienced knitters. There are parts of the pattern where the instructions are a bit vague. These barely fit Baby E. I have not yet made the ties called for in the pattern, and haven't tested out how well they stay on. 

I really liked this yarn--great to work with. I have a skein of their worsted in my stash and I'll definitely be looking for more at upcoming craft fairs. 

No comments: