Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thank you, sleep deprivation

I burned my hand tonight while making dinner.


I made some supa-tasty roasted salmon with herbs for dinner. When it was time to flip the salmon fillets, I pulled the cast iron skillet out of the oven with an oven mit, flipped one piece, then before I flipped the second piece, I went to move the pan slightly and reached without thinking for the handle (which was just out of a 475 degree oven) with my bare hand. Yowza! There's a nice sized blister where my pointer meets my hand, and my entire thumb is red. It hurt a lot for a couple of hours, but with some lidocaine gel, it's feeling better now. I'm blaming my sleep deficit for this bonehead move.
Aside from the pain, I'm mostly concerned about how this is going to affect my knitting! I started the Hemlock Ring Blanket with the Cascade 220 superwash a couple days ago--and I love knitting it! Initially I started with US10 needles. The pattern calls for 10 1/2, but I didn't feel right about using a needle this big. But even the 10s were too big! The fabric was looking much too loose for my liking.
Hemlock Ring--too loose!
So I frogged after about the first 20 rows and went down to size 9s and I'm liking it much, much more.
Hemlock Ring beginning
This blanket is great because it combines lace knitting with worsted weight yarn--> it goes so fast! And the pattern is so beautiful, it's great to watch it come together. Doesn't the center look like a beautiful sunflower? I'll definitely be making more of these!

No comments: