Sunday, September 27, 2009

Some small projects

I have been knitting, I swear I have! I'm half way done with my 3rd square for the Buncha Squares blanket. It's been an adjustment, going to work 5 days a week. And after a day of work, garter stitch is just the thing I need. :) It's also been an adjustment wearing regular clothes to work instead of pajamas scrubs.

Last weekend, I finished my Selbu Modern. It remains unblocked. I think I want to try to block it over a balloon. I'm not so keen on the idea of blocking it on a plate--I want more of a softer slouch shape. Since I'm not sure when I'll get around to block it, here's a horrible unblocked picture to give you the general idea of how it looks.

Selbu Modern, unblocked

Little sis starts college this week at UW. So, in honor of that, and her 19th birthday last week, I whipped up this purple and gray striped hat today. The yarn is Karabella Aurora 8, which is soooooo soft! This hat should keep her warm at all those Huskie football games she has tickets for. The pattern is improvised, the details are on Ravelry.

School Spirit Hat

A few weeks ago, Raj was complaining of having chilly feet, so I decided knitted slippers were called for. I ended up using this free pattern, slightly modified. I used the heel modifications described here, and then picked up stitches around the opening and knit about 1 inch of 2x2 ribbing for a little bit of ankle warming.

Slippers

The yarn is left over from my first sweater, some scratchy aran weight wool that I ordered from Elann a few years ago. It's Austermann Naturwolle, which is apparently out of production. It made a very warm sweater--too warm for me to wear except for maybe 2 days a year. The color and scratchiness of the yarn remind me of camping, so I called it my cabin sweater. But it made for some cozy slippers!

Slippers

No comments: