Sunday, July 19, 2009

Something blue...

Sea Blue Sea Quilt--all done!

The Sea Blue Sea quilt is all done! I quilted it in waves using free motion quilting and I'm pleased with how it came out. You can see the waves in this pre-wash pic, with the blue water-sol marker still on the quilt.

Sea Blue Sea Quilt

Things I like about this quilt: 1) It's the perfect snuggle-on-the-couch size; 2) The back is pieced for added interest; 3) The binding is a mixture of all the fabrics used in the squares. Things I'm not too pleased with: 1) My free-motion quilting skillz, or lack thereof; 2) The amount of time it took to sew on the binding on the back of the quilt.

Sea Blue Sea Quilt--all done!

This is going to a 1 year anniversary gift for a special blue-loving couple. The quilting went pretty quickly: 2 episodes of Radio Lab (60 min each), all of Radiohead's In Rainbows and most of The Shins' Wincing the Night Away (appropriate since I was finishing it up around 10:30pm). In that pic above you can kinda see a little yellow thing in the top right corner of the quilt--that's a pin marking a small hole in the fabric that I spied while sewing on the binding. No idea where this hole came from, but I'm going to cover it up with the label (which I have yet to make).

In other sewing news, I whipped up a little headband just now.

cloth headband

After seeing this type of headband popping up on other blogs, I decided to make one. People have been using the pattern in Weekend Sewing, but I kind of improvised mine. The main piece is a rectangle 17x4.25", the elastic casing is a rectangle 8x1.5" and the elastic was about 5" long, but sewn with about .5" seam allowance on both sides.

No knitting news--I have a slew of things in progress, but hopefully I'll finish some of them in the near future so I can share them with you.

No comments: