Sunday, December 27, 2009

Tax-Free Yarn Crawl

a.k.a. After Thanksgiving Trip to Portland

Portland

The day after Thanksgiving, Raj and I took the Prius out on its first big trip--down the I-5 to the Rose City. I'm happy to say we made it there and back plus around town driving on a wee 3/4 of a tank of gas (around 9 gallons). Woo hoo!

IMG_2857

But back to the real reason I'm here tonight...

I took advantage of Oregon's status as a sales tax free zone to expand my stash a bit. We went to 3 or 4 different yarn shops, and they were each great in their own ways. I feel a bit deliquent for not paying attention to their names. One was near Pioneer Courthouse Square and two were out in the NW region somewhere. I guess we only went to 3. :)

My loot:

IMG_2916

You might recognize this yarn from my previous post--this is the yarn I used for the fingerless mitts I made for Melisa & Tracie for Christmas. Pink and purple and sparkly--perfect for them!

IMG_2915

I'm a sucker for self-striping yarn, what can I say.

IMG_2917

I'm attracted to the gradual color change in this yarn. Not sure if I will use it for socks or a shawlette or something else.

IMG_2918

The color in the pic is a bit off, the yarn is mostly darn and light gray with a slight red tint in some ares, i.e. relatively manly yarn, destined to become socks for Raj someday.

IMG_2920

Some gorgeous Silk Garden Sock yarn.

IMG_2919

Last, but not least, some worsted merino destined to become a hat for me!

No comments: